Prof. Dr. rer. soc., Dipl.-Psych., Dept. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy , UMR, and CMBB
- Current position
- Professor of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy and Chair, Outpatient Clinic for Psychotherapy, UMR
- Role within partner site
Relevant work experience
- DFG RU 1328 on Placebo Mechanisms, coordinator
- DFG CRC 289, site coordinator UMR
- DFG Clinical Trials Program: ENCERT, PI, coordinator
- DFG Clinical Trials Program: PSY-HEART Multicenter Trial, PI, coordinator
- Study Center in various multicentre trials (DFG PROGRID; BMBF PROTECT AD; BMBF RECAP (with FR)
- Guest Professor, Harvard Medical School, Boston US
- since 2001
- Professor of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy and Chair, Dept. Psychology, MR
- Habilitation, Univ Salzburg, Austria
- Dissertation, Dr. rer. soc., University of Konstanz
- Head of Psychology Department, Roseneck Hospital Prien a.Ch. (affil. with LMU Munich), lecturer University Salzburg, Austria
- Clinical Psychologist, Psychiatric Hospital Rottenmünster, Rottweil
- Clinical Psychologist and Research Assistant, University Konstanz and Psychiatric Hospital Reichenau
Main research foci
- Development, maintenance and treatment of somatic symptoms, somatoform disorders, pain
- Expectation, conditioning and further mechanisms of placebo and nocebo responses
- Psychological treatments in mental and biomedical disorders
- Kube T, Schwarting RKW, …, Rief W (2020) Distorted Cognitive Processes in Major Depression: A Predictive Processing Perspective. Biol Psychiatry 87(5):388-398.
- Petrie KJ, Rief W (2019) Psychobiological mechanisms of placebo and nocebo effects: Pathways to improve treatments and reduce side effects. Ann Rev Psychol 70:12.1–12.27.
- Schedlowski M, Enck P, Rief W, Bingel U (2015) Neuro-Bio-Behavioral Mechanisms of Placebo and Nocebo Responses: Implications for Clinical Trials and Clinical Practice. Pharmacol Rev 67: 697–730.
- Rief W, … Wambach K (2018) Comparing the efficacy of CBASP with two versions of CBT for depression in a routine care center: A randomized clinical trial. Psychother Psychosom 87:164-178.
- Rief W, Martin A (2014) How to use the new DSM-5 diagnosis Somatic Symptom Disorder in research and practice? – A critical evaluation and a proposal for modifications. Ann Rev Clinical Psychol 10:339–67.
- since 2012
- Co-Chair Classification of Chronic Pain in ICD-11 (WHO)
- DFG committees FK110, Clinical Trials